New Delhi: Nearly 1 in 2 people suffer from colds, coughs and lung congestion during the winter months when cold temperatures strain the immune system. This has become more common, especially after COVID. People with COVID-19 are still complaining of unrelenting coughs that have gotten worse over the winter. Popping pills can provide temporary relief, but home remedies passed down for generations have stood the test of time.
One such simple home remedy is recommended by Lifestyle Coach and Fit India Movement Ambassador Luke Coutinho. He suggests a natural and powerful drink for those suffering from lung congestion, thick phlegm and mucus ailments.
In an Instagram post, she shared a recipe for an “onion drink,” stating, “A concoction made with onions and spices like turmeric and black pepper would help if someone got sick.” He added: hope it works for you.
He also shared how to make this healthy drink. Ready to eat. Onions contain antiseptic properties that help loosen phlegm, strengthen the immune system, and prevent further mucus production.
Some other home remedies my grandmother always swears by:
- Lemon juice and honey, peppermint tea or ginger syrup with cinnamon contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant substances that help clear respiratory tract secretions and reduce productive coughs.
- Consuming jaggery creates a shield against disease as it has decongestant properties that help clear coughs from the lungs.
- Adding turmeric helps fight infections and allergies, and helps with airway congestion and mucus production.
- A pinch of black pepper acts as an antioxidant and antibacterial ingredient that helps thin mucus, making it easier to breathe.
- To soothe a sore throat and dry cough, drink 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger juice.
- Keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of lukewarm water, and avoid dairy products such as yogurt, which can cause colds and coughs.
- Gargle with salt and lukewarm water to help clear your throat and reduce mucus.
- Add a few drops of medicated essential oil and inhale the steam from the bowl of warm water to decongest.
- Drink herbal teas as they have anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties. This helps boost the body’s immunity.
- Practice breathing exercises and avoid smoking.