It’s no secret that America loves beer, but this list of the 10 states that drink the most beer certainly does. some curveballs.
All data in this list courtesy of homebrewing and beer resource Learning to Homebrew. The data was compiled by founder and CEO Joshua Bartlett, who looked at criteria such as population density, per capita beer consumption, keg production and revenue, and number of breweries.
Here are the top 10 states that drink the most beer in America.
- Montana – Perhaps a surprising number one, Montana consumes 40.8 units of beer per capita and has 92 active breweries.
- new hampshire – This relatively small state consumes 39.8 units of beer per capita and boasts 91 breweries.
- north dakota – Still a small state, North Dakota drinks 38.2 units of beer per person.
- south dakota – South Dakota has a population of less than 1 million and only 22 breweries, but consumes 38.2 units of beer per capita.
- maine – Maine has an impressive 133 breweries, consuming 33.8 units of beer per capita.
- Vermont – Maine has a population of just 600,000, but has 68 breweries and 33.3 units of beer consumed per capita.
- texas – With a population of just under 30 million, this huge state has 344 active breweries with a per capita beer consumption of 30.9 units.
- Wisconsin – Wisconsin has 205 breweries but actually drinks 33.6 units of beer, more beer per capita than Texas.
- Nebraska – Nebraska has 55 breweries consuming 32.5 units of beer per person.
- Nevada – And finally, Nevada comes in 10th with 33.2 units of beer consumed per capita.
Commenting on the findings, Bartlett said:
“While it’s no surprise that Utah has the lowest number of beer drinkers in the United States, I was shocked to learn that Montana is the thirstiest state for several reasons. That means it’s not the first place anyone thinks of when sipping a cold beer.
Some of the most obvious factors that should have been central to the craft beer revolution and the more established brewing industry weren’t even on the list. The State Number is a revelation and has changed my perception of how America views beer. ”
Top 10 countries that drink the most beer in the world